CISC479 Sections 10
Meeting Time and Place
Lecture: MTWRF 10:00 - 11:45 in Brown Lab 205
Office Hours: MTRF Join me for lunch most days (check with me during class).
Office Hours: MTRF 1:30-2:30 in Smith 439 (Fridays are the most likely to be cancelled so check with me).
These books are not required, some are free online, the ones which are not free will be treasured bookshelf
friends, I promise.
- Laptop I would like students to bring a laptop regularly if possible, we will code in class. If not possible then email me and find a partner to "partner code" with. If some number of students bring a power strip then we can keep those batteries charged.
- GitHub Account Email me your github account name.
- Cloud9 Account Use your github account to register with Cloud9 IDE
- Work Ethic I am expecting 20-30 focused hours of your time every week to go towards this course. I wouldn't ask this of you without a promise of benefits (see "superpowers" below).
- Smart Phone This is just a request, if you can check your websites on your phones that
will help your designs. We will have occasional surveys in class.
Superpowers that I wish to give you
- CSS, HTML, JS on your resume
- A nice set of portfolio pieces
- The ability to apply timeless software engineering principles to web tech
- A CSS pre-processor for your resume
- A JS MVC framework for your resume
- The ability to know just when you need the heavy machinery and when you can make clean DRY code vanilla
- A possible career as an advocate for object oriented CSS
- An overview of useful design patterns
We will do 5 projects in this course (the last project will continue the 4th). You will work with a
Project Day: We will present on the first class of each week excepting of course the first and last weeks. On project day
each team will get 5 minutes to present their work to the class. After the presentations we will do a
post-mortem together looking at what worked and what didn't work. Then we'll go over the specs of the next
project. That night every student will submit a personal growth report for the project.
- Project 1: Monday January 11th
- Project 2: Tuesday January 19th (No class on the 18th)
- Project 3: Monday January 25th
- Project 4/5: Monday February 1st / Friday February 5th